Re: Doc: CG: add instructions for staging branch (issue 5440080)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc: CG: add instructions for staging branch (issue 5440080)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 15:14:47 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3 December 2011 13:59, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>     This is the instructions I wrote to myself:
>
>     Before you start thinking about pushing a patch to staging, you
>     need to ensure you have the correct local branches up to date.
>     One time only, edit the .git/config file to look like this (there
>     will be other lines and sections, don't touch these):
>
>     @example
>     [remote "origin"]
>     fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
>     url = ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
>     @end example
>
>     Now, each time you want to make a change and push to staging, do
>     the following:
>
>     @example
>     git fetch # (to be sure you have the current version of staging)
>

> What is the difference between doing 'git fetch' and 'git pull -r'
> (which is what I do and lilygit.tcl does I believe)?

git fetch just updates the idea of your local git about what is stored
in the remote repository.  It does not actually touch anything related
to your own branches and work directory.  It just makes the remote
information available locally for viewing, rebasing, merging, whatever.

git pull -r fetches the remote branch corresponding to your currently
checkout-out branch (if any) and then _rebases_ your local branch onto
the state of the remote branch.