Re: Trashy Novels

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Trashy Novels
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 00:21:09 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 01:29:30AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> <address@hidden> writes:

> > [...] "Jane Eyre" is firmly planted as one of the two most famous
> > English novels :-)
>
> Huh?  Obviously "Wuthering Heights" would be one of those you'd
> consider more famous (runs in the family), but I don't think "Jane
> Eyre" can hold a candle regarding famosity to a number of novels, like
> "Vanity Fair", "Oliver Twist", "The Picture of Dorian Grey", "Pride
> and Prejudice" and so forth and so on.  Even "Frankenstein" would
> likely ring a bell with more people than "Jane Eyre".

Well, Pride and Prejudice is obviously the other one among the two
most famous :-)

As for the others, they are of course all very popular; but actual polls
among British readers at least (I could try to digg up the links if you
are *really* interested) consistently show these two at the top.

For another measure, just check the sheer number of screen adaptations
-- you won't find anything close to Jane Eyre I'd wager :-)

(Pride and Prejudice has somewhat fewer, but more successful ones; so
all in all they come out about even I'd say...)

-antrik-