Re: Positioning of two voices is inconsistent

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Positioning of two voices is inconsistent
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:05:43 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>

> \version "2.14.1"
>
>  { << { e'1 } \\ { e'''1 } >> |  }
>  { << { e'''1 } \\ { e'1 } >> |  }
>
>  { << { e'1 } \\ { e''1 } >> |  }
>  { << { e''1 } \\ { e'1 } >> |  }
>
>  { << { e'1 } \\ { e1 } >> |  }
>  { << { e1 } \\ { e'1 } >> |  }
>
> I don't understand why the notes are not aligned in all cases.

Your newsreader litters the source with unbreakable spaces.  Makes it
harder to work with.

> Is this expected engraving/LP behaviour?

Well, try it with stemmed notes.  Does it make it clearer?  You have a
voice reversion here.  Lilypond will make this reversion work for
stemmed notes by shifting the notes away from the other voice's stems.
The whole notes are shifted similarly and thus fit well with melodies
written with stemmed notes.  You can actually, in this way, figure out
whether the whole notes are assigned in voice reversion or not.

As a rule, place the logically upper voice first in a \\ grouping.