Re: staging vs. staging-broken-dec23

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: staging vs. staging-broken-dec23
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:53:15 +0100

> Hey all,
>
> In order to remove the blockage to development, I've made a copy
> of the previous staging branch: it's now called
> staging-broken-dec23.  I've replaced staging with
> master+release/unstable, and Patchy is testing that right now.
>
> Once that's been accepted to master, people are invited to
> cherry-pick their patches from staging-broken-dec23 to staging if
> you are very confident that they didn't cause the breakage.  I
> don't think that anybody wants to get into huge build-system
> surgery right over Christmas, so if you have any doubts, please
> hold off unless you've tested a full doc build from scratch.
>
> Doubts include:
> - anything that touches the build system
> - anything that adds a new file to Documentation/snippets/*.ly or
>   input/regression/*.ly
>
> Patchy is running every 6 hours at the moment (GMT / 6), and
> there's no rush to get another release out, so let's just put
> stuff into staging gradually.

I did the start (after checking locally).  There are changes to some
build rules and Makefiles, but nothing concerning the doc build, and
nothing of fundamental nature.

I also used -j3 (never mind that I have a single-CPU system) to simulate
some out-of-order chaos.  No apparent problem, but let's see what Patchy
has to say about this.