Re: critical issues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:44:44 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
> To: <address@hidden>
>
>> There is a _reason_ the remaining OSX and Windows based developers
>> are doing (definitely important) documentation and web site work.
>> They are to a large degree locked out and dependent on support from
>> surplus GNU/Linux-based developer capacities.  We are not doing them
>> any favors by killing LilyPond development as a whole out of sympathy
>> with their plight.
>
> Not at all.  I think you know that myself and James are mainly Windows
> users.  We also run big Ubuntu machines that support the build
> environment. However, we came to the development from being Windows
> users.  Cut off that supply and I'll probably stop supporting Lily,
> which I would regret.

You are compiling your own binaries without using GNU/Linux in the
process?

That's what a native development environment would look like.

>>> - what does this do to our ONLY documentation writers and
>>>   reviewers (who are all windows-based)?  Will they be a) more
>>>   motivated to work on lilypond, b) no change, or c) less
>>>   motivated?
>>
>> We are already screwing them over with GNU/Linux-only "developer
>> releases".  When will we stop using our Windows and OSX developers as
>> an excuse for not working on a stable release that would actually
>> warrant the effort of getting GUB working again and matched to
>> current Windows and OSX releases?
>
> Not true - see above.

Documentation and web writing without a functional lilypond-book strikes
me as somewhat difficult.

It is nice that things are not as completely broken as I thought.  But I
still think that our effectively current philosophy of "the next stable
release is something only developers interested in Windows and OSX need
to concern themselves with" is doing anybody a favor.  Our road map has
nothing to offer beyond GUB, and so there is little interest in getting
even there.