Re: Need real cross-staff chords

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Need real cross-staff chords
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 18:53:53 -0500

Quoting Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:

Hi Pavel,

2012/1/7 Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>:
I believe it would be nice to have support for cross-staff chords.
Perhaps it could be done as another snippet.  I'm a beginner in Scheme
and Lilypond, so it takes me quite a lot of effort.  I'll appreciate
some help.

I envision having a Scheme function that would apply to some notes in
the chord:

<g c g,\crossStaff>

I wish that i could help you doing this, but it's beyond my knowledge.
 I have a suggestion for the future syntax, though - i think it would
be best to define cross-staff chords like cross-staff voices, i.e. use
\change Staff = StaffName inside chord construct:

<g c \change Staff = LeftHand g,>

I actually tried it and it didn't work. I think implementing this approach in Scheme may be harder, as I would need to redefine \change (or catch for staff change events or something as hairy as that) rather than write a new function.

You may consider writing a brief feature request that would be added
to our tracker (http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list), so
that this issue doesn't get lost.
(send the feature request to bug-lilypond)

I will. We have a good reason to want cross-staff chords rather than a fragile imitation that can only be held together by hacks involving negative padding :)

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin