Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:54:22 +0000

On 2012/01/15 13:37:13, Carl wrote:
After doing some testing, it appears that the following should be able
to get my
dev/cg applied to origin/staging, while preserving my dev/cg:

git rebase origin/staging dev/cg~0
git push origin HEAD:staging

David, is this correct?

As far as my painfully gained understanding goes, yes.  If your dev/cg
gets too far behind origin/staging, the rebase might require manual
work.  It may be possible to reduce the repetitive amount of work by
working with git rerere (with which I have no experience), but an
occasional

git rebase origin dev/cg

(which permanently rebases dev/cg on origin/master which we don't reset
ever by gentlemen's agreement, meaning that if somebody does that,
everybody else stops being a gentleman) should take care that most of
the work needs to be done just once.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/