Stable release proposal

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Stable release proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 01:27:57 +0000

So after hearing from most of the currently-active developers, I think a
reasonable goal for 2.16 would be:

1) Work through the outstanding issues involved in issue 2070  -- Don't
wrap EventChord around all note heads.  This is probably a big issue, but
I think with David working on it it will happen quickly once we work
through the issues.  To me, this is the biggest outstanding issue, but I
think it will be worth tackling.

2) Make sure that the Documentation, especially Extending, reflects the
current state of the code.

3) Get rid of all Critical issues.

4) Have a minimum two-week testing period with no new features -- only
bugfixes.  This provides time to get translations of the manuals in place.

5) Remove translations if they are not updated to 2.16.  The 2.14/2.15
manuals can be used if desired.  Having non-updated manuals removed may
serve as an incentive to get them all translated.

What's left off the list?

A) Resolving the non-dead parsed objects.  I couldn't find a good enough
description of this problem to see it as a solvable issue.  If we get a
good description, I can see adding it.

B) Guile 2.0.  I think there's enough going on with Guile 2.0 on their
side (adding local-eval back in) that we shouldn't push this for the next
stable release.

Anything else?

Note:  There are currently 6 Critical issues, 3 of which have patches in
review.  I think the other 3 can be resolved fairly quickly.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Carl