Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:19:33 +0000

mailto:address@hidden
wrote:
> > could we change this (and other similar) prefix so that it doesn't
> > contain a slash?  I mean, change dev/ to dev- or something like
that.
> > The slash confused me a lot, because it's also used to separate a
remote
> > name from the branch name, like in origin/master.  I'm sure that
if we
> > will adopt "dev/blahblah" naming, many people will mistakenly
believe
> > that "dev" is something like "origin", and they will be very
confused.

> Good point!  I like it.

I don't.  We have / as a directory indicator in file names, and we
have a whole
bunch of branches on git that use / as the equivalent thing -- a
grouping of
like branches (see, for example, stable/2.12, stable/2.14, etc.

The / is perfectly consistent as a separator, and it works very
similar to / in
unix.  dev/cg is a local branch dev/cg; origin/dev/cg is the remote
branch on
origin.

If we were using origin everywhere and it would be discernible from
context what does what, i would agree.  But it's not like that as far as
i see.

On 2012/01/19 16:07:59, Carl wrote:

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode297
> > Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:297: git branch dev/cg
> > I think it would be good to be verbose, because it will give
people
> > more information about using git (and they won't have to ask
> > certain questions).  In this case i would suggest
> >
> > git branch dev/cg --track origin/master
>
> But we don't want it to track origin/master, do we?  People should
> merge from master manually (covered in this section).

We absolutely do *not* want tracking, in my opinon.  The only branch I
want
tracking in a novice's repository is master.  And we give instructions
that they
never merge to master -- only to staging.

Just to make sure we understood ourselves - i'm not suggesting that
anyone merges his master branch with anything.  I'm talking about
pulling from master.  Usually that's the default, but occasionally it
won't work and this tracking setting would prevent problems, bt it may
not be worth the fuss.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/