lily-git.tcl and git clone

From: Graham Percival
Subject: lily-git.tcl and git clone
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:57:14 +0000

The updated CG instructions for setting up git manually specify to
use clone:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/setting-up
but the latest patch for lily-git.tcl still appears to use the old
git remote add... stuff to only get specific branches?

If I understand git correctly, which I'm sure that I don't,
wouldn't this make getting other branches (notably origin/staging,
but also dev/whatever as well) much harder?

Is there a compelling reason not to use git clone for lily-git.tcl
as well?