Re: Another stderr/stdout question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Another stderr/stdout question
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:20:48 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> The regtest option-help.ly emits the help text for ly:set-option.  The
> idea is that the logfiles will thus be compared in the regtest
> checking.  Only problem is that the list seems to go to stdout and the
> logfiles are produced from stderr, so no checking actually occurs,
> AFAICS.  This has the side effect (which is how I spotted it) of
> sending the help text to the terminal screen rather than to logfiles,
> when make doc is run.
>
> What do we think: is it going to the wrong place, or should we do
> something else with the regtest and make doc?

It is going to the wrong place.  At the very least, it should go to
current-output-port (as a function called from Scheme), but it bypasses
everything and goes straight to stdout.

The normal thing for it would be to get an optional port argument
defaulting to current-output-port.  Whether or not it does the
interpretation #f -> returned string, #t -> current-output-port that
format does is not all that important.  That would be nice but optional.

But stdout is not the right place to use for a Scheme function.