texi2pdf errors

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: texi2pdf errors
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:27:00 -0000

As is stands _right now_ an error creating a pdf file using texi2pdf in make doc is a bit difficult to trace. That's because we now run texi2pdf with the --quiet option, so any output generated goes to a logfile which it silently creates. So if I put some rubbish in notation and run make doc, I get this:

/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting.
make[2]: *** [out-www/notation.pdf] Error 1

So - because I know this, I go to out-www/notation.log and open that up. About 500 lines down, I see:

Runaway argument?
@@\\@@\\/\
./notation.texi:17: Paragraph ended before @\ was complete.
<to be read again>

and so I know I have some rubbish with lots of @ symbols on line 17 of notation.texi.

If we use the switch --batch instead, the output goes to the terminal, but since there is 8500 lines of it and the error message is 500 lines in, it's pretty hard to spot anyway.

So - I think we have 2 options to improve this:

1) Put something in the CG about failing texi2pdf build and how to debug it
2) Write another shell script much simpler than run-and-check that runs texi2pdf, check its return value, and if it's a fail, sends a message to the terminal of the "Failed - check notation.log in the xx directory for errors" variety.

Dunno which is best.  Thoughts?

--
Phil Holmes