Re: texi2pdf errors

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: texi2pdf errors
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:30:37 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julien Rioux" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:01 PM

Phil Holmes <email <at> philholmes.net> writes:
So - I think we have 2 options to improve this:

1) Put something in the CG about failing texi2pdf build and how to debug it
2) Write another shell script much simpler than run-and-check that runs
texi2pdf, check its return value, and if it's a fail, sends a message to the terminal of the "Failed - check notation.log in the xx directory for errors"
variety.

Dunno which is best.  Thoughts?

--
Phil Holmes

3) You could run texi2pdf without --quiet, without --batch, and use /dev/null as
input device:

texi2pdf input.texi < /dev/null

In this way you keep the meaningful output and it will stop on the first error, making it easy to spot. Task left to the reader: add this to your shinny new
run-and-check script!

Cheers,
Julien

That also looks a bit hacky/difficult to understand why we do it.

Is it the case, then, that with --quiet or --batch, texi2pdf carries on processing despite errors occurring and only stops at the end, whereas without those it stops immediately?

--
Phil Holmes