Re: google summer of code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:29:43 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/2/10 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Sorry, i don't understand.  Do you think that grace timing is too
>>> small or too big for GSoC?
>>
>> It _sounds_ too small, but may turn out to be quite a number.
>> Basically, it requires a solid understanding of iterators, analyzing the
>> music events occuring in grace situations, designing iteration orders
>> useful for typesetting and MIDI replay, and making everything work with
>> them.  Iterators are not really the best documented corner of LilyPond.
>
> Thanks, now i better understand what's good for a GSoC idea.

Don't get me wrong: it is probably quite enough work for getting someone
started.  I'm just not sure whether it will be easy to sell it off.  The
largest part of the work would realistically consist in digging oneself
into sparsely documented areas, just in order to be able to come up with
a good plan and implementation that would, if you discounted all dead
corners, take two days to do.

It seems a bit like visiting a term of art classes in order to make a
convincing sketch at its end.  The real deal is not the sketch, but the
ability to do so.  And if all you are going to do is that one sketch,
the exercise seems a bit pointless.

But of course, if you want to turn sketches into a living, having
someone pay what it takes to do the first sketch is going to be a _big_
help.