Re: Dubious recommendation about ragged-last-bottom in spacing.itely

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Dubious recommendation about ragged-last-bottom in spacing.itely
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:57:18 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/2/10 Pavel Roskin <address@hidden>:
>> Hello!
>>
>> There is a strange suggestion in Documentation/notation/spacing.itely:
>>
>> --------
>> @item ragged-last-bottom
>> @funindex ragged-last-bottom
>>
>> If set to false, systems will spread vertically down the last
>> page.  Pieces that amply fill two pages or more should have this
>> set to true.
>> --------
>>
>> I believe the opposite should be suggested.  Large scores should set
>> ragged-last-bottom to false.  For a large score, it's easy to fill a
>> whole number of pages without much distortion.  Doing so increases
>> readability of the piece without increasing the number of the page
>> turns.

It depends on how well our penalty system works.  If you fill three
pages anyway, you want your breaks at places where a page turn makes
good sense.  Even if one page is short.  If LilyPond has no way to
figure out one page break being better than another, it might as well
spread the material evenly over pages.  But other than that, I don't see
that filling the last page should necessarily "increase readability".

Just having choices #f and #t is also not really optimal.