Re: Final redirection of texi output (issue 5650064)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Final redirection of texi output (issue 5650064)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:50:49 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:56 PM

Looks good, I just have a few suggestions to avoid clashing log file
names and I wonder how this part of GOP 9 might be implemented down the
road:
"All other logfiles will go in the @file{build/logfiles/} directory."

Hmm. Had forgotten that. In practice I think the way it's actually working currently is better. logfiles associated with, say, French translations go into the Doc/fr directory, and therefore translators can see them at a glance, rather than having to sort through them. This patch isn't the last word, but my thought would be to let them go where they do now and see whether it actually causes problems.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/Documentation/GNUmakefile
File Documentation/GNUmakefile (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/Documentation/GNUmakefile#newcode234
Documentation/GNUmakefile:234: $(buildscript-dir)/run-and-check
"$(MAKEINFO) -I$(src-dir) -I$(outdir) --output=$(dir $@) --docbook $<"
"$*.makeinfo.log"
We might need .makeinfoxml.log here, or something similar, to
distinguish the log files.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/Documentation/GNUmakefile#newcode238
Documentation/GNUmakefile:238: $(buildscript-dir)/run-and-check
"$(MAKEINFO) -I$(src-dir) -I$(outdir) --output=$(dir $@) --docbook $<"
"$*.makeinfo.log"
again, .makeinfoxml.log

Done both of these in latest patch.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make
File make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make#newcode10
make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make:10: $(buildscript-dir)/run-and-check
"DEPTH=$(depth)/../ $(TEXI2HTML) $(TEXI2HTML_SPLIT) $(TEXI2HTML_FLAGS)
--output=$(outdir)/$* $<" "$*.splittexi.log"
I suggest adding $(ISOLANG) to the name of the log files generated from
this Makefile, eg:
$*.$(ISOLANG).splittexi.log

Not necessary while the logfiles go into the relevant diretory for the translation.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make
File stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/diff/5003/stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make#newcode75
stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make:75:
$(buildscript-dir)/run-and-check "$(MAKEINFO) -I$(src-dir) -I$(outdir)
--no-split --no-headers --output $@ $<"  "$*.makeinfo.log"
.makeinfotxt.log

http://codereview.appspot.com/5650064/

Done.