Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:25:09 +0100

Am 23.02.2012 14:35, schrieb address@hidden:
On 2012/02/23 12:37:04, MikeSol wrote:

http://codereview.appspot.com/5626052/diff/40001/lily/stencil-integral.cc
File lily/stencil-integral.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5626052/diff/40001/lily/stencil-integral.cc#newcode932
lily/stencil-integral.cc:932: MAKE_SCHEME_CALLBACK (Grob,
simple_vertical_skylines_from_possibly_transparent_stencil, 1);
On 2012/02/23 12:29:06, dak wrote:
> Why do we need this?  I think that a _transparent_ stencil is not
supposed to
> create a different skyline.  That's the point of setting
transparency rather
> than just #f-ing the stencil.

The problem is TabStaff and TabVoice.  In both contexts, many grobs
are set to
transparent as a default.  These are grobs that are never supposed to
factor
into a vertical skyline.  I'd be interested in seeing what happens if
these were
set to ##f instead of transparent, but that'd be a new project.

a) the behavior is expected and consistent
b) http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2085 is fixed and
verified

Setting that stuff to "transparent" is merely an ugly workaround used
for historical reasons.  We should not create inconsistent and complex
semantics to half-heartedly support it.
As the person who wrote a lot of stuff for tablature and removed the stems and stuff by default,
I second that it is an ugly workaround.

Ideally, I had removed the stem/flag engraver completely from TabVoice, but then again, the slur engraver (and some others as well IIRC) complains when there is no stem to be taken into account when calculating
the control points.
I haven't tested this in detail, though, and tablature.scm and the tablature stuff in ly/engraver-init.ly exist
for quite a long time now, so my poor knowledge just may be outdated.

Probably opening a new issue for this is the right way to go, IMHO.

Regards,

Marc

http://codereview.appspot.com/5626052/