Re: Simplify font building. (issue 5695061)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Simplify font building. (issue 5695061)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:18:06 +0000

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 02:06:46PM -0800, Joe Neeman wrote:
>    On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Graham Percival
>    <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>      No, and adding this to GUB will be particularly challenging.  I'm
>      afraid that this will probably postpone the patch indefinitely.
>      :(
>
>    Why would it be particularly challenging?

Whenever anybody tries to run GUB, there's a 1-20 hour setup time
while they run into various bugs.  A few people have tried it;
sometimes it "just works", other times it doesn't.  For reference,
Carl currently cannot build GUB, which is a shame since otherwise
he would be a candidate to work on the osx stuff (the only current
Critical bug which does not have a patch).

Once somebody has GUB running, and has a reasonable amount of
familiarity with python, compiling software, packaging, and old
python versions (GUB uses 2.4.5 IIRC), it would probably only be
about 30 minutes to get it working.  The problem is just getting
to that stage.

> In fact, since GUB builds
>    fontforge, the python bindings may already be included (I'm attempting
>    to check this now).

ah, that would be nice.  We would still need to update lilydev,
but that is not too hard.