Re: Ubuntu 12.04 as a LilyDev

From: James
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.04 as a LilyDev
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:22:36 +0000

Hello,

2012/3/6 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just been seeing if Ubuntu 12.04 is going to cause any
>> significant problems for the next major LilyDev upgrade.
>> [...]
>> make and make doc work fine (well make doc completes with no errors I
>> haven't actually looked through all the PDFs but the LM looked fine on
>> a quick skim).
>>
>> I'm not going to comment on the Unity interface as I know that is a
>> sore topic for some users, but apart from figuring out how to get an
>> xterm (alt-f2 then type xterm!) it was pretty pain free. It's
>> certainly a smoother experience than 10.04 (if one cares about that
>> subtlety) even in a VM.
>>
>> Compilation times are no quicker/slower it seems, although I haven't
>> 'watched' a make doc for a few months now (I just kick off the command
>> and go and have a life, it's all done when I get back) so I thought it
>> had 'hung' as I am conditioned with my few years of making doc of a
>> constant stream 'matrix like' of screenout put. But this stuttered and
>> stopped so much I really thought something was wrong, Then I
>> realised...
>>
>> Well 'squashed' Mr Phil! :)
>>
>> Anyway, hope this was useful or interesting at the very least.
>
> It was!  Maybe LilyDev 2.0 should be Ubuntu 12.04.

No we have to think about GUB and the fact that 12.04 is still in
beta. I think as has been suggested by Graham that we'll do another
round on 10.04 with LilyDev 2.5 and then once 12.04 has bedded in a
bit then move. I need also to make sure that remastersys (which is
what we use to build the ISO) works on 12.04 - I haven't tried that
yet.

> The only thing that concerns me is xterm.  Do i understand correctly
> that it's the only available terminal?

No, you understand that that was the only thing I could think to type
for a terminal at that moment :)

> The default one in current
> LilyDev is much better, has tabs and all eye-candy a terminal can
> have.

Quite.

James

James