Re: Bad translation merge

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Bad translation merge
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:22:59 +0000

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 01:58:24PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I can reproduce the problems when merging.  It would appear that the
> > history of the translation branch got messed up at some point of time in
> > a manner that git can't recognize how to merge properly anymore.
> >
> > I will try to figure out what happened here.  Please don't merge the
> > translation branch to staging while I try figuring this out.
>
> Ok, the shit hit the fan.  Apparently I was not fast enough, and
> somebody ran the staging-merge on the bad translation merge.

I think that James was correct to do this -- or rather James'
computer correctly ran the cronjob scheduled for every six hours.
I don't think that we should expect him to respond to emails
within a few hours and cancel a cronjob; he needs to sleep, work,
etc.

As a general rule, I don't think that we should ever say "don't
try to merge staging".  Instead, rename staging to broken-staging,
and delete the staging branch.  Unfortunately it's too late now,
but hopefully next time we can avoid damage that way.