Re: new lilypond-auto mailing list

From: James
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:20:11 +0000

hello,

On 20 March 2012 10:47, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2012-03-20 00:28, Graham Percival wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:11:46AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>>
>>> So instead of surprising volunteers by giving them more information than
>>> expected we give them less information than expected?
>>
>> Bug squad members shouldn't be reading tracker messages anyway.
>

> It's not about bug squad, but about all developers. The comment of the
> lilypond users to the bug reports are *extremely* important for development.
> On the other hand, all those hundreds of automated comments to the bug
> reports are totally unnecessary.

The thing is you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't.

I think this auto list is a good idea.

Some while complain now that they won't know when a Tracker has been
updated from a checkin but only when a user updates the checkin. In
that case you can use git-cl to cc the dev list if you so wish for
your patch upload. Or devs can use the tracker website instead of just
relying on emails - there are filters on this site and they work well,
I have a set of bookmarks that list me Patch-new, Patch-review and so
on, or they can now subscribe to the auto list. or you can simply add
another filter to your email.

It may be about the devs in your head, but unless 'someone' creates
the trackers (and this includes spotting the bug reported in the first
place) the devs have nothing to work on (so to speak). We already know
that devs hate the 'admin' :) and the idea of the bug-squad is to make
the dev's life easier.

It isn't perfect but if anything we should give this a try.

James