2.16 release criteria

From: David Kastrup
Subject: 2.16 release criteria
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 01:06:42 +0100

Well, the good news is that we have not had anything holding up the
release without a fix in the pipeline for at least a month (or so it
feels).  The bad news is that the pipelines still see quite a bit of
action.  It will be luck more than anything else if we have a pause in
the stream of newly discovered regressions that is long enough for
making a long-term release.

I have the fear that the desire to get to this state might prompt some
regression fixes that have not necessarily gotten all the diligence that
would have been desirable.  So I am not sure that a "timed release"
scheme would not possibly lead to a higher quality/time ratio, even
though our current scheme attempts to have monotonically increasing
quality over the subset of known bugs.

On the plus side, regressions are being addressed vigorously right now.
Other bugs, however, get to see this vigor as well, leading to more
regressions in their wake.