Re: Failed compiling a single lsr-snippet, which does not fail whenrunni

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Failed compiling a single lsr-snippet, which does not fail whenrunning the whole lsr
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 19:09:19 +0200

Am 3. April 2012 16:52 schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:
>>

>>> We need to check what the script is doing and how it responds to
>>> failing snippets like this.  I'm not in a position to do this right
>>> now, but let's not forget it's there.  I've put it on the tracker as
>>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2466
>>>

>> It's also important to establish if this is a critical regression or
>> not.  The snippet dug into the bowels of LilyPond and used lots of
>> functionality that's not put into play often.  So its failure to
>> compile may be pointing to an unexposed regression.  Perhaps it'd be
>> wise to label this as critical now and then downgrade it once we
>> confirm that the compilation failure isn't coming from anything
>> directly involved in running the LilyPond executable.
>
> There are things like bleedover.  See
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2449> for one
> example where a "user interface" was added that results in changes
> affecting the entire rest of a multi-file session.  If a later snippet
> relies on a define-event-class in an earlier snippet, bleedover will
> make this reach into further sessions.
>
> git grep define-public Documentation/snippets
>
> returns several snippets that _export_ definitions (I have not checked
> whether this means that they will spill over, but I would not be
> surprised if it did).
>
> Any snippet that reaches into the bowels of LilyPond causing a
> _permanent_ change there surviving beyond the session is a mistake.
>
> It is possible that here one snippet depends on another snippet.
>
> What are the error messages in this particular case?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I tried to narrow it down.

At last I had only the contemporary-vibrato.ly-file in the directory.

Using

#!/bin/bash

for LILYFILE in *.ly
do
  STEM=$(basename "$LILYFILE" .ly)
  echo "running $LILYFILE..."
  lilypond --format=png -ddelete-intermediate-files "$LILYFILE" >& "$STEM".txt
done

(as for the whole lsr) works and it compiles!!

Compiling with 2.14.2
lilypond contemporary-vibrato.ly
gave me simply:
ERROR: Wrong type (expecting pair): ()

Can someone confirm this behaviour? I can hardly believe it.

Compiling with 2.15.34 after removing a $-sign
gave me
contemporary-vibrato.ly:98:19: In procedure car in expression (map car in_l):
contemporary-vibrato.ly:98:19: Wrong type (expecting pair): ()

Compiling with 2.12.3 works fine.

Cheers,
  Harm