Re: second GSoC application: font glyph variants. Please review!

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: second GSoC application: font glyph variants. Please review!
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:33:21 +0200

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think your proposal ought to have three steps for each set of modified
> glyphs:
>
> 1) Add glyph variants
> 2) Add infrastructure
> 3) Tweak glyph variants
>
> I suggest this, because I think that the tweaking may take a lot of time.
> If you had variants and the infrastructure complete by the end of GSOC,
> but the variants weren't yet perfect, I'd consider that a successful
> outcome.  I think that tweaking is potentially the most time-consuming
> part of the project, and the part I'd be happiest to have left to do at
> the end of the summer.

The problem i see here is that some of the fine-tuning is not only
about finding good values for the parameters, but also determining
what parameters should be used at all, and how will they interact with
other versions of the glyphs and general architecture.  However, your
concerns are valid; i've modified the schedule so that it explicitely
says "August: fine-tuning the shapes".

> P.S. After seeing your choir picture, I wonder if you are related to
> Graham? ;)

I know nothing about any Canadian ancestors of mine, but you never know... :)
How did you like my article about LilyPond's weak sides and it's
future development?  Do you think that my concerns are valid?

cheers,
Janek