Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 11:33:21 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 08:58:11AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>>>
>>> David Kastrup wrote Sunday, May 06, 2012 2:57 AM

>>> Definitely prettier, but maybe not so transparent as s1*0.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> What about defining a
>>   null
>> or
>> "note name"?  Then we could write
>>   c4 n\footnote
>
> What's the duration of
> <c n>
> ?
>
> What is the duration of
> n4
> ?
>
> Where is the point in a note name that does not take to the current
> duration?  How is that making things simpler?

Though of course <>2 has the side effect of changing the current
duration in the parser to 2 without having a duration, either.  All in
all, I find

<>-\markup { Something }

more natural for "no duration" than

n-\markup { Something }

And it also has a natural representation in music already.

\displayLilyMusic <>-\markup { Something }

displays

-\markup \line { "Something"}

Oops.  Ok, need to fix that as well.  But \displayMusic outputs
something sensible.