Re: Add mail aliases for Carl, Colin, Jan ek, and Pál, for the sake of g

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Add mail aliases for Carl, Colin, Jan ek, and Pál, for the sake of git shortlog (iss ue 6206057)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:03:07 +0200

Le 13/05/2012 15:24, James disait :
Hello,

On 13 May 2012 14:06, Jan Nieuwenhuizen<address@hidden>  wrote:

It seems that this document is in the format<given name>  <surname>,
should be Pál Benkő (unless i'm heavily mistaken).

and Hungarians happen to put the given name last in the full name.
Unless I am mistaken, this is the same with "Hu Haipeng".

Isn't it a convention to use all caps surname/family name for
countries/cultures that have the order reversed, ie, keep
the ordering everyone likes, but signal reversed ordering using
caps

Yes but it looks ugly next to those that don't. At least to my eyes
and I am not sure what the convention is with diacritics over capital
letters for other cultures (the 'French' French don't generally
approve of it but the 'French' Canadians do for instance).

This is because of all those typewriters that came for the other side of the ocean. And when the secretaries got "computerized", they did not want to change their habits, and it is neither activated by default in word processors nor so easy to type it on windows (capslock types numbers, you have to make <alt>0201 for an É).
Typographic rules remain to have accented capitals.

Live from France...
Jean-Charles