Re: Patchy email

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:55:51 +0200

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 04:56:14PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 14/05/2012 alle 15.46 +0200, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> > Either is fine with me.  A sensible default value could be
> >   "patchy %s" % (os.hostname())
> > assuming there's a command like that in os.
>
> On second thought, it must be an address subscribed on both
> lilypond-auto and lilypond-devel, so let's make a config option for it.

Well, the mail address must be subscribed, but the description
doesn't need to be.  I mean, it could be
  "patchy %s <%s>" % (os.hostname(), config.email)
but then again, if somebody's putting in their config.email, they
might as well give it a personal name as well.

> > Can you give me your github account name, so I can add you to the
> > lilypond-extra project so you can push directly?
>
> I didn't have one, I just created "jmander".

Thanks, added.  You can either check out a new repo with the
origin set up, or else change the origin manually.  See the github
docs for this because I don't know how to do it (although I know
you do), nor do I know the correct address.

> Do you mean renaming files/classes/methofs in patches/, or in all
> directories of the repository?

Just things inside patches/.  If you'd like to rename directories
(which could also be a good idea), I'm totally open to a
discussion and I'll probably go along with whatever you suggest,
but I'd still like to hear about it before you do it.  :)
you may even want to split the current stuff in patches/ into a
shared scripts dir and a "binaries" (well, "scripts to run") dir.

>  I see no mention of Patchy in
> summary-for-experienced-developers.

There's a mention of Patchy in a later chapter... I think it's in
the admin chapter?  I don't have the source code with me on
vacation, but try
  git grep lilypond-patchy-staging.py
and you should find the material I'm talking about.  Phil Holmes
wrote it, and James is either proofreading it or has edited it
himself by now.