Re: Make \footnote work via \tweak (issue 6195098)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Make \footnote work via \tweak (issue 6195098)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 22:04:32 +0000

On 2012/05/17 21:36:53, Carl wrote:
On 2012/05/17 19:28:49, dak wrote:

> I think that I pretty much got the possibilities covered in the
current text.
> still have to hunt down warnings/programming errors, so I would
focus on the
> code and be perfectly glad if somebody else is willing to carry the
> documentation from here.

If James doesn't want to carry the documentation from here, I'd be
willing to.

Just to clarify my understanding, there are two optional parameters:
markup and
grob.

"mark" and "grob-name" I think.  Those should match the names chosen in
ly/music-functions-init.ly.

If markup is omitted, we use sequential numbers.  If grob is omitted,
we
use the following music event.

The following music event is used either case.  If grob-name is omitted,
the footnote mark is attached to a grob _directly_ created from the
event (typically, the NoteHead).  If you want to attach to an
_indirectly_ created grob like an accidental or stem, you need to give
the grob-name.

In contrast to the timed footnotes used exclusively before, the event is
still relevant: you can, for example, make a different footnote for each
accidental in a chord.  That was not possible previously.  If you give
an event rather than \default, the grob where the footnote gets attached
needs have the event as its ultimate cause (meaning that if you follow
the chain of "cause" until hitting a non-grob, it must be the event).

The following music event can be a post-event, a chord element, a
standard music
event, or \default.  If \default is chosen, the footnote will be
timed, rather
than attached to a grob.

It is _always_ attached to a grob.  When an event is given, the grob is
chosen from the set of grobs having the event as their ultimate cause.
When \default is given, the grob is chosen from the set of grobs being
acknowledged at the same musical time.

So if I want to footnote a time signature or a barline, I use \default
as the
music event and TimeSignature or BarLine, respectively, as the grob.

Is this correct?

The last sentence is.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6195098/