Re: Sets TabVoice Stem height to ##f (issue 6303065)

From: mtsolo
Subject: Re: Sets TabVoice Stem height to ##f (issue 6303065)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:24:34 +0000

On 2012/06/11 07:10:48, dak wrote:
On 2012/06/11 05:34:23, MikeSol wrote:

> This shows a case where stem height cannot be determined by stem
stencil
> presence.  The first version of the patch works under the assumption
that
> information about height cannot be gleaned from the stencil and must
be made
> explicit through overrides.  I think that, even though this requires
redundancy
> (specifying no stencil and an empty height), if LilyPond treats
cases where
> there is no stencil and a non-empty height (like
beam-stem-stemlet.ly), then
the
> method in the first patch set is better.

What do you mean with "treats cases"?  That it implements some useful
behavior
based on the exact given height?  Or merely that it catches the case?

Personally, I consider it an accident waiting to happen if downing the
stencil
is not enough to suppress its consideration.

_Iff_ there is a situation where it is really required to have a
non-zero
height, then setting the stencil to ##f is the wrong measure: it
should be a
point-stencil instead.

So when stencil is #f for stems, the height should always be empty?  In
this case, patch set 2 was the correct approach, and the fact that it
failed regtests reveals a hidden bug in the handling of beamed rests
under tuplets.

If you think this is the best way to tackle it, then I'll do that.
It'll likely mean a larger patch as it'll unearth some bugs that didn't
surface with the stem work in 2.15.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6303065/