Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:51:21 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:32 PM
Subject: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

Here's the first "main" policy point in GOP 2.  For those
unfamiliar with GOP, here's a quick summary:

[snip]

"don’t link to a website about lilypond, which the public might perceive as connected with it and reflecting the position of its developers, unless it also runs on free software. (unreleased custom software is ok)".

My web space runs windows IIS. We have the .iso and occasional tools (e.g. the regtest rater) running on this. Do you think this is a problem?

"do not recommend any non-Free programs"

We have a list of non-free ones on the easier editing page - e.g. Noteworthy and my converter. However, it seems daft to me to remove these. I would think for the long list we could disclaim with "we're not recommending these, but noting that they exist".

"Thank everybody who reports a bug, ". As a general rule this does happen. Doubt we could do better.

"Ouch. dvi, postscript, and plain ASCII?". Let's not bother. We've got highly accessible documentation.

"points to old website docs; I need to find out how to update this link". Might be better to just point to lilypond.org. It's easy enough to find the manuals from there.

--
Phil Holmes