Re: LSR updates and translations

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: LSR updates and translations
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:01:45 +0200

Il giorno lun, 25/06/2012 alle 12.31 +0100, Phil Holmes ha scritto:
> Yes, that directory exists.  Good point.  perhaps the best name would be
> /build/Documentation/snippet-src?

What about $(top-build-dir)/Documentation/snippets/out? (read
$(top-build-dir) as "build/" if you prefer)

> The same way - with a snippets/new list, where these over-write the snippets
> from the tarball.  We may need to consider some other name changes here.
> Clearly the simplest way to create an updated git/Documentation/snippets
> directory is a simple delete of the old one, and a copy of the docs snippet
> tarball over to git/Documentation/snippets.  However, this would also wipe
> out git/Documentation/snippets/new, which would be a Bad Thing.  What about
> an empty directory called git/Documentation/snippets, one with updated
> non-LSR-runnable snippets called git/Documentation/snippets/new, and one
> with the snippets from the tarball in called git/Documentation/snippet-src?

I don't think creating a new directory is convenient w.r.t. following
changes by translators; would it be enough to have copies of snippets
from LSR tarball in Documentation/snippets, and have what we currently
have in Documentation/snippets in
$(top-build-dir)/Documentation/snippets/out?

> I think the translators would disagree with [2] and on inspecting the
> mechanism, it seems over-complex.

We are not going to simplify the mechanism much, but at least get away
with current committish update crazyness.

After having followed the this discussion, I bet a small patch (< 50
lines of make and python) is enough to solve this issue.  May I go
ahead, i.e. is there agreement on solving this?

Cheers,
John