Re: Meeting 2nd half of August! (was: GOP2: 0 - why are we losing develo

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Meeting 2nd half of August! (was: GOP2: 0 - why are we losing developers? (discuss responses))
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:04:00 -0300

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Mailing list arguments are a trickier issue. It’s clearly a big
>> problem, but this isn’t something we can fix by waving a change of
>> policy. I’ll schedule a time to discuss it. We need to do
>> something about this, although at the moment I have no immediate
>> suggestions.
>
> I have one.  It may sound absurd, but then I have learnt "once you ruled
> out the impossible whatever remains however improbable might be
> effective", and there are a few things that somehow or other appear to
> be hard, particularly for me.  Decent communication in electronic media
> is one of the things I am spectacularly bad at.  One thing that has
> turned out to be effective at times is meeting people in person.

Amen to that.

Jan and I had some spectularly bad fights over patch handling (mainly
Jan complaining of mine). Those fights always were caused by
discussing things in a hurry over e-mail, and were always resolved
when we called to discuss things over the telephone.

I warmly recommend getting together, hacking, thinking and drinking
some beer (or whatever your preferred beverage).