Re: [Feature request] attach lilypond code in pdf.

From: Da Mota Sam
Subject: Re: [Feature request] attach lilypond code in pdf.
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:33:51 +0200

Hi guys!

I've been working on the feature that attach sources to pdf file.
It currently is not yet finished.
However you will find in attachment a prototype that shows how to easily do it.
This patch applies to commit 8e933c691271bbf369d6f2294640d1dbe772094f
Please note that this patch is *absolutely not yet ready* for
integration into lilypond.

The main "challenge" about this feature was "how to know the list of
all input files used for the pdf creation".
I've just added some code to lilypond that prints the file list to stdout.
This is a draft, the location where I put this code just isn't right.

To test it, apply the patch. Use lilypond on a .ly and redirects the
stdout to a file (say input_files).
Then call the attach_sources_to_pdf.sh script like this:

shell> attach_sources_to_pdf.sh input_files the_pdf_file.

You certainly need to look into the scripts and change the list of
file in function "removes_lilypond_files" so that it matches the
lilypond internal file of your installation (like italiano.ly).

I'm particularly interested in tests based on big score made up of lot
of sources files split up in a lot of folder.
So please, could you test it on your projects and say if you find
something that just doesn't look right.

Things to do (in case no one finds anything weird with the script):
* make lilypond create a temporary file automatically and put the
input files in it (avoid redirecting stdout)
* make lilypond call the script itself (and then remove the input_file
list as it is temporary file for internal use only)
* redevelop the script in python so it became portable for windows users
* add a tagline that says "click here to download the sources" at bottom of pdf.
* add regression tests about this feature

By the way, as I'm getting really busy now, the development of the
"add source to pdf file" feature will unfortunately really slow down
from now on. At least from my side. If anyone wants to continue,
please feel free.

Best Regards,
--
Samuel DA MOTA