Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:49:09 +0100

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:33:30PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> Speaking of, another stupid idea I once had, was to establish big
> "ranges of music Lily can do", for example "All J.S.Bach" and try to
> find counter-examples that break this set. If we find them, _that_
> would be a good source of ideas for improving LilyPond. If we don't
> find any, we go for the next level, say "All Bach' sons" or "All
> Salieri" and so on. Of course we could (should) go backwards as well,
> e.g. "All Lully". Eventually we'll reach a certificate or seal of
> compatibility for a range of composers.

I agree, that would be awesome.  Although a slightly more
plausible thing would be to isolate specific works.  For example,

1. Bach cello unaccompanied suite no. 1.  (single staff, a bit of
polyphony but not much, etc)
2. (all?) Bach chorales.  (multiple staves, lyrics)
3. Mozart symphony 40.  (many instruments, but relatively easy
notes/harmonies/notation)
4. Beethoven piano concerto no. X.  (many instruments, more
challenging notation)
x. Tchaik. violin concert (already in mutopia, but would require
updating and of course bug-fixing in lilypond to produce great
output with no tweaks)

However, that would be a huge understaking, and I don't think we
have enough programmer interest or funds.  (we could probably
organize a user effort to write the .ly files, though)