Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:40:16 +0200

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/7/24 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> convert-ly can't work reliably since it does not understand the
>> structure of LilyPond files.
> (...)
>> Reliable conversions need to understand structure.  You can do them on
>> XML.  LilyPond is too complex.
> (...)
>
> Right, so a "perfect" convert-ly would solve all problems but this is
> impossible. Then, it is now clear to me that a syntax stability for a
> long period of time is very desirable.
>
> Besides, I have weighted more than once the possibility of updating
> all Mutopia music. That would improve its value (and the opposite,
> i.e. doing nothing is effectively making it to lose its value more and
> more).

That sounds like a good user community project.  It is very important
for that sort of thing to have timely response to user contributions.  I
believe that the current Mutopia project may be a bit problematic in
that department.  Some automated and semi-automated procedures
(proof-reading interfaces?) might help with that.

> Just thinking aloud, sorry. I don't want to waste your time. I realize
> this is fairly naïve.

When "naïve" serves the majority of a large user community...