Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (final)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (final)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:32:55 +0200

> Unchanged from last week's proposal; no objections; this is now
> the policy.  All hail Dictator Kastrup!

Ok, here is my tentative plan (which can change at the drop of a hat, as
that possibility is the main reason for going the dictator way).

It looks like 2.15.42 has been cut from master right now, and given the
number of issues tackled in it (close to 60, likely a new record),
that's quite desirable.  I'm taking assessment of our current
outstanding issues.  Early next week I'll try making a decision which of
them I consider I want to see solved in 2.16.  If we manage to solve
them in a reasonable time frame, this will result in version 2.15.43.
Since the translators need a chance to get up to date, I'll try to avoid
documentation issues for 2.15.43.  About two days after its release
(when we are reasonably sure not to have big blunders in it), the 2.16
branch will be split off.  Any translations arriving after that will
need to get cherry-picked by me.

At that point of time, master will be forwarded to make the next release
from it be 2.17.0 (basically pretend releasing 2.16.0 and going through
all the motions and updates in version numbers, and then bumping to
2.17).

Whether 2.17.0 will actually happen before or after 2.16.0 is not fixed.
There will be at least one alpha release of the stable version, probably
numbered 2.15.95.  Only bug fixes will be collected into the 2.16
branch.  If I am reasonably confident that 2.16.0 is ready to be
released, we'll do that (with some luck, we can cherry-pick the
pretend-release from the master branch).

I have no idea whether it is feasible from timing and computing
resources, but of course it would be nice if we could get this done at
the LilyPond meeting.  But that would be a rather tight schedule, so
don't hold your breath.