Re: aux files to cache compilation info

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: aux files to cache compilation info
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:11:35 +0100

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 12:02:59AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> On 6 août 2012, at 23:23, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'd suggest an alternate method: the cache needs to contain:
> > 1. the bar numbers of page breaks for the last _full_
> >  compilation of file X
> > Then the "quick" recompile simply re-uses those exact bar numbers
> > for the line-breaks.
>
> This would be rather straightforward to implement assuming that
> any additional bars would just get tacked onto the last line or
> a new line.  In big scores I see this cutting compilation time
> in half.

Sounds good to me!

> We're actually not too
> far from this, as there is a single function that takes line
> breaking info and splits systems accordingly.  We just need to
> override it such that the user can pass it data.

Or rather:
- when called with the appropriate flag(s), write the line-breaks
  to a cache file
- when called with the appropriate flag(s), read that cache file
- override the function to use the cached data

I don't think we want users to be manually specifying the
line-breaks.  (although I suppose that might be a good debugging
step to see if it works, before going to all the trouble of
writing&reading data from a file)