Re: Regtest - collision

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Regtest - collision
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:04:08 +0000 (UTC)

Phil Holmes <email <at> philholmes.net> writes:

> The texidoc for key-signature-cancellation.ly says "Key cancellation signs
> consists of naturals for pitches that are not in the new key signature.
> Naturals get a little padding so the stems don't collide."  The contributors
> to the regtest checking project point out that the natural signs _do_
> collide.

Looking at the history, commit c76d27c59244a331a2873a40e0d7e40ad378d4b8
it is clear that the naturals that touch just at their corners never got
any "little padding" to clear that collision.  The point of the commit
was to pad specifically those pairs of naturals whose stems overlap
significantly.

I suggest fixing the description "... so those stems with significant
overlap don't collide" .

It would be an easy change to give about 1/3 the default padding for
all naturals, and the full padding when they overlap significantly.
Nobody has complained about the current situation, though, so I don't
think we should feel obliged to make a bug report.

The default spacing is hard-coded, but can be adjusted using a property
of KeySignature called 'padding-pairs'.