Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS or not
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:33:42 +0100

On 10/08/12 15:06, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
I haven't looked at the code, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't
be possible to extend that to non-power-of-2 denominators.

Great! :-)

What's odd is that it already works for some cases, but not others -- examples attached to the bug report here:

Double fractions and real numbers in the enumerator pose more problems,
because in these cases I have no idea how to determine the beat
structure... (e.g. in #'(1 4 3 8), eights are automatically beamed as c8
c[ c c c] c[ c c]. How would you beam #'(3.33332 8)? )

Well, I would not try and generalize it to arbitrary _real_ numbers, mainly because I don't know of any application -- rational numbers should suffice. (You might have to handle simple floating-point cases like e.g. 2.5/4, but nothing more complex.)

In the case of rational numbers, what I would do is, in the case of e.g.

    #'(4 2/3 4)

you have 4 quarter-notes (beamed as normal) followed by one (2/3)/4 which if you calculate the fraction, works out as 1/6. So, you'd beam it as if it were, #'((4 4) (1 6)). That latter case I think should already be handled by the compound-meter beaming (again, see examples attached to bug report).

Basically it's equivalent to asking how you would beam the following musical sequence:

    c4 c c c \times 2/3 { c4 }

While I'm not certain, I think that approach should suffice for just about every rational-number example, and it should suffice also for simple floating point number cases (I can imagine people using .5 increments, I may even have seen it somewhere, but I can't imagine anyone writing something like 2.66666/4).