Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:28:21 +0200

Il giorno lun, 20/08/2012 alle 13.53 +0100, James ha scritto:
> On 20 August 2012 13:09, John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If you mean the BUILD_ALL_DOCS switch in the core code of the builder
> > (patches/compile_lilypond_test/__init__.py),
>
> Yes I was.

The ability to run "make doc" for testing patches that you mention may
have been lost in some refactoring of the code, but I have no specific
clue.  Whatever.  Let's make an option for it (not for
lilypond-patchy-staging though!) and we'll be fine.

> A make
> test test-baseline takes about half that and because I assume ( I have
> never looked in the code) that if I have multiple patches being tested
> at once that we keep the same make test-baseline and don't redo it.

Your assumption is correct.  When patchy/test-* is merged with master,
test-baseline output can even be kept across several Patchy runs,
provided that master revision doesn't change and the build tree is not
cleaned up to deleting it, thanks to a checksum of all contents of
test-baseline directories.

> The point is that some patches (like Mike's Skyline or some of Phil's
> recent contributions) would possibly affect documentation, even some
> of the more trivial doc-specific patches could break make doc. As make
> doc is very heavy for most devs, having a way for me to say 'meh...I
> don't care if rebuild doc on every patch, it's just an extra bit of
> time', when testing their patches at least gives those devs the
> confidence that it is being tested and so they don't need to (if you
> see what I mean). It is one thing as you say for devs to do reg tests
> or basic make tests but another for make doc.
>
> That's where I come in.

Sure.  Even with all the bells and whistles for increasing build speed,
security and reliability I try to add for running Patchy on Grenouille
likely won't allow making doc on it for testing each and every patch; it
has a Pentium 4 and "make doc" needs more than 2h40min, and we have
64bit Core2-like or faster.

As for new Patchy code, I'm still fixing errors and keep rewriting
history of patchy/test* branches, this code needs a few days of
stabilization before it can be pushed on master (I hope before leaving
for Waltrop on Thursday evening) and I propose you to test it.

Best,
John