Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work

From: James
Subject: Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:59:57 +0100

John,

On 20 August 2012 16:32, John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 20/08/2012 alle 15.53 +0100, James ha scritto:
>> What might be more convenient - depending on the approach - is to be
>> able to arbitrarily run ./test-patchy.py at a tracker issue regardless
>> of patch status and build the doc based on it.
>
> This was added in
> commit cbd969135e8ec8c08fcccfe1ca96775c1c77ccac
> Author: Julien Rioux <address@hidden>
> Date:   Sat Feb 25 18:46:21 2012 +0100
>
>     Allow to specify issue numbers on the command line for testing.
>
>     If no issue number is provided, query for Patch=new issues, as usual.
>

> This means you can already do something like
>
> test-patches.py 2756 2761
>

>> That means that I can run ./test-patchy.py normally and then once the
>> basic tests are done I can run it again and *just* make doc.
>
> No, because Patchy as it is in master branch now does "make clean" and
> "git reset --hard", so you can't come into the process and do a "make
> doc" in the middle, unless you start Patchy in Python debugger and stop
> it at the right step, and then don't forget to do doc-clean for the next
> issue, but I wouldn't play into doing this, nor recommend to do so.
> Even in patchy/test-grenouille branch with the option to build docs, I
> still need to make Patchy copy the docs tree in case the build succeeds,
> and make doc-clean between issues, for this to work.

Yes I can see the problem.

Would it be 'easier' to copy test-patches (so to speak) and rename it
to make-doc-patches and then we have a third command - test-* accept-*
make-doc-* - and I could run

make-doc-patches 2345

and it would do just that (and clean up afterwards). I don't ever
actually 'check' the doc but just make sure it compiles.

James