Re: contributor's guide 10.2.8 Python

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: contributor's guide 10.2.8 Python
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:14:06 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Tarenskeen" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:06 AM
Subject: contributor's guide 10.2.8 Python

Hi,

10.2.8 of the contributors guide says

"Python is used for XML2ly and is building the documentation and the website"

Sounds a bit incomplete to me. XML2ly is musicxml2ly I guess. And what about midi2ly, lilypond-book, abc2ly, convert-ly?

I think you're right.  A patch to correct this would be welcome.

Also I was hoping to find info about the required/recommended Python version here when I was browsing the docs. Maybe that info can be found somewhere else?

It looks like the Python on my windows install is 2.4.5.

BTW: Are there any thoughts about switching from Python 2.x to Python 3.x somewhere in the future?

I don't believe so. A lot of the GUB build relies on Python, and it also creates a shipping Python by a mechanism I don't believe anyone currently understands. Is there a good reason to want to?

--
Phil Holmes