Re: GUB on the python-db problem

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GUB on the python-db problem
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:40:50 +0200

Hi Jan,
2012/8/27 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
> It appears that the fix we made in your branch for DB is correct.
> Have a look at target/tools/src/python-2.4.5/setup.py:527
>
>         db_setup_debug = False   # verbose debug prints from this script?
>
> and below...
>
> Setup.py looks for /usr/include/*db*3,4*/db.h, which is entirely broken:
> it should ask GCC if it can find db.h (and/or look at the include
> flags); we are cross compiling and it entirely ignores that option.
>
> This holds for all of the extension modules that are checked here.  It
> would be nice if we could add %(system_prefix)s for where it looks for
> all extensions; on the other hand: trusting GUB's dependencies and
> patching Setup.dist is OK too.
>
> Also, did you see Joe's mail about anydbm?  I misread his mail earlier,
> of course he is using /usr/bin/python [that's needed for bootstrapping]
> so we probably want what he suggests: in gub/2/db.py only have
>
>      import anydbm as db

Great, so I'm pushing this patch to Waltrop.  BTW without this patch
in (just because I didn't push it), Graham succesfully built
stable/2.16 again with GUB branch Waltrop on his box at Glasgow used
for all recent LilyPond releases, which might give a hint for
fast-forwarding GUB master with Waltrop branch.

Best,
John