Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:59:41 +0100

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:21:53PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> FWIW, it's been running from scratch for about 4 hours on my fast
> quad core, so you do need a big, fast machine to do this regularly.

The first time you run GUB (or whenever the GUB git repository has
changed significantly), it takes something like 10x as long as it
takes normally.  From my vague recollection of how fast your
computer can do a full doc compile, I expect that a normal release
will take between 1 and 2 hours.

It amounts to:
- 9 "make all"
- 1 "make regtest-check" or whatever it's called
- 1 "make doc"

There's a few extra steps, and the compiles are done with older
gcc versions (which may be faster or slower than your normal gcc),
but in terms of estimating the time for a release, that's it.