Re: 2.17.1 regtests

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.17.1 regtests
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 00:44:17 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> The regtest that worries me most is les-nereides.ly.
>
> There is a comment starting on line 827 of axis-group-engraver.cc from
> Joe (vintage 2008) that describes this scenario. It's just that excess
> spacing has always hid it.  It is now the time to tackle it head on,
> as w/ the new skyline patch this type of scenario will come up more
> often.

You appear worried about the slur through the fingerings.  Yes, that is
an ugly collision.  But it is "merely" a collision.  Much more worrying
in my opinion is that the staffs in the first third of the page are
crammed into each other so tightly that it becomes quite hard to guess
which of the interleaved material belongs to top and which to bottom
system.  This generally looks like a non-existent staff-staff-spacing
only kept apart by collision avoidance.

We _really_ need a smart padding strategy reducing this effect which is
_far_ too pronounced to produce readable scores.  And perhaps
double-check that staff-staff-spacing is actually doing its part in
keeping the skylines at a distance.  I somewhat doubt it.