Re: 2.17.1 regtests

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: 2.17.1 regtests
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 01:01:25 +0200

On 30 août 2012, at 00:44, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The regtest that worries me most is les-nereides.ly.
>>
>> There is a comment starting on line 827 of axis-group-engraver.cc from
>> Joe (vintage 2008) that describes this scenario. It's just that excess
>> spacing has always hid it.  It is now the time to tackle it head on,
>> as w/ the new skyline patch this type of scenario will come up more
>> often.
>
> You appear worried about the slur through the fingerings.  Yes, that is
> an ugly collision.  But it is "merely" a collision.  Much more worrying
> in my opinion is that the staffs in the first third of the page are
> crammed into each other so tightly that it becomes quite hard to guess
> which of the interleaved material belongs to top and which to bottom
> system.  This generally looks like a non-existent staff-staff-spacing
> only kept apart by collision avoidance.

system-system-spacing still works.

I think it's fine to increase the minimum distance of system-system-padding
(I'll let someone else make the call of how much) now that stuff is snugger.
But the cross-staff problems matter a great deal.  If you take out the slurs,
the spacing problem is less of an eyesore (although still eyesoric).

Cheers,
MS