Re: preliminary GLISS discussions

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: preliminary GLISS discussions
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:30:59 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

> Yes, I noticed that - it would be good to make all functions operating
> on arguments be verbs; similarly, \times could be renamed to something
> more verby.

Guess what the current proposal is, I think I heard \tuplet (ugh).

>> Wouldn't it be helpful if from the syntax one could tell functions
>> from postfix operators simple statements?  In most languages function
>> invocations are easy to spot.  I think in Perl you can have functions
>> look like dead statements, but that's probably just making the argument
>> better.
>
> <offtopic>I find it interesting that you are giving Perl while we are
> discussing readability.</offtopic>

Ah, I was unclear.  Right.  LilyPond stands out /together/ with Perl in
unreadability; these are the only two languages I know that can have
functions look like statements.  I was arguing how nice it would be if
we could move away from that [similarity].

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl