Re: Uncommented code in LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Uncommented code in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 17:06:21 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Frightening rather.  I don't spend enough time defending LilyPond
>> against awful patches as it is.  [...]
>> It is easy to make it easier to meddle with LilyPond code.  The low
>> number of contributors is not due to our toolchains.  It is because few
>> people are comfortable poking around in the dark.  And for good reason.
>
> While i agree with the problems you outline (not enough comments,
> maintenance timebombs etc), it's fascinating to observe that while i
> wouldn't say that you're a downright pessimist (and you certainly
> don't lack a sense of humour), so many of your emails are dark and
> menacing! ;-)

An optimist is one willing to believe we are living in the best of all
conceivable worlds.  A pessimist is one who knows it.

In the last few days, I have not done any serious coding.  The most
challenging achievement was probably my attempt of dooming to
obliteration a whole bunch of code that Pál spent a lot of thought and
work and polishing on without much feedback, without giving the
impression that I am not valuing his work and efforts.  And some of that
might have been avoidable if I had really thought hard about this
previously.  Things had already moved in an unfortunate direction with
unfortunate results before Pál even started on his project, and it
actually took his try to sort things out better to make a detailed
analysis of what we actually want, and agree on rules that are much more
stupid than what he came up with.

I don't want _anybody_ to experience the feeling of having wasted his
time unnecessarily on something.  We want to keep people motivated for
working on LilyPond.

And that means different things in the short run, and in the long run.
The current discussions are also taking a lot of energy and don't make
me particularly comfortable.