Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 22:43:17 +0200 (CEST)

>> From a user's point of view who has to write a lot of piano music,
>> `q' is *really* valuable.
>
> In a score editor.  Like Emacs' LilyPond-mode.  Or Frescobaldi.
> Nobody says that you should not be able to make use of shortcuts,
> but that does not mean that the LilyPond language is the right place
> for providing them.

No, no, and again no!  I want *readable* lilypond input.  Compare
this:

with this:

  <a c es f>8\f q q q\p
    q <a b es f>\f <a c es f>\p q |

In the first version, have you immediately seen the note change from
`c' to `b' in the fifth chord?  Only in the second version it's clear
that it is not a typo.

Chord repetition is a *central* part of piano music (and not only
there).  It really deserves a proper syntax, and I'm glad that we have
it now.

> Editing shortcuts have a nice place in editors.

`q' is certainly more than an editing shortcut.

> q is one of those features that make LilyPond unfeasible as a
> storage format for music.

I believe exactly the opposite.

    Werner