Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 00:51:37 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> My personal gut feeling is that probably "/", already used for
>> separating a chord base, could possibly be used for introducing chords.
>> It is not perfect:
>>
>> c1/7
>>
>> can be c followed by 1/7, or it can be a seventh chord on c with the
>> duration of a whole note.  But c1 already can be pitch c followed by
>> number 1 or a whole note c.  The difference is that 1/7 is a lexical
>> unit of its own.  But this probably could be made to work.
>
> unless we want to support rational durations written this way.
> No, i don't like the idea of using '/' that much.
>
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>>> What about differentiating between notes and chords by case?
>>> a -> note
>>> A -> chord
>>
>> Would you use Bes or BES?
>
> Rather Bes.
>
>> If the former, how would you write the equivalent of bes:dim ?
>
> You mean, what case should "dim" be written in?  I'd say that it could
> be lowercase:
> Bes:dim
> I.e., the difference between note and chord will be only in the case
> of the first letter.
> Or did i misunderstood you?

The problem was that we were not supposed to be using : because Bes:8
would have a chord with octave, conflicting with eighth tremoli.

Hey, chord tremoli are not exactly unheard of, and we can't do the them
in chordmode right now either, can we?

Sounds like another reason for finding a way to support both in a common
mode.